June to August 2020
Each Friday we will add the new video teaching link, discussion questions, and encouragement for the week.
Friends…anybody out there feeling a little disconnected? Maybe a bit unhinged from Christ and His Church? I want to invite all the women of the PCA to study the book of Ephesians with me this summer, using the Hinged Bible Study starting the first week of June.
Ephesians hinges on two grand ideas: being vitally connected to Christ and His Church. Chapters 1–3 take us vertical as we connect to Christ. And chapters 4–6 move us out horizontally as we learn to connect to each other. This study was written by nine women just like you who come from different generations, geographical contexts, and different kinds of churches but the study blends their voices to sing as one. It is my prayer as you gather an intergenerational group of women (virtually or Lord willing in person), you will see not only the beauty in community but also hear that kind of gospel echo in your group.
By joining with us, you will:
- Be able to access teaching videos (30 min.) on each of the 12 Bible Study passages taught by Karen Hodge and Paula Miles. Note this teaching is different than the teaching you would receive at a Hinged Conference.
- Be invited to our Hinged Hangout – A Facebook Live Event each Wednesday night at 8pm EST where we will have the chance to learn from the authors and one another (these are optional).
- Receive a weekly encouragement from Karen in your inbox.
Let’s Get Started
- Video teaching (30 min.) that corresponds with the weekly chapter. They will reside on our CDM YouTube Channel which you can subscribe to here.
- Hinged Point-discussion questions.
- Other helpful encouragements.
- Invite women from your church, neighborhood, far away friends, or family to join you.
- If you want to know if other women from your church have signed up, you can email Kathy Wargo at email@example.com to ask for a list.
- We certainly want to welcome anyone who wants to study this individually as well.
- Virtual: You could gather to discuss the study virtually via Zoom or Google Hangout.
- Phone: You could coordinate a weekly conference call to share what you have learned on Free Conference Call.
- Text or Video: You could start a text, or use groupme or voxer to share your a-ha moments.
- Face to Face: Lord willing, you may even be able to meet in person.
We encourage you to dig into the weekly lessons. Each lesson has five days of content to help you. The study includes these parts:
- Encourages women to dig into the scriptures.
- Focuses on having the mind of Christ.
- Focuses on being vitally connected to Christ.
- Encourages women to glean the passage for gospel application, both individually and relationally with others.
- Focuses largely on women’s hearts.
- Focuses on being vitally connected to His Church.
- Opening and closing prayers
- To hide God’s Word in your heart.
- We have these available on our webpage to download.
- The teaching video (30 min.) corresponds with the weekly chapter.
- You can watch them anytime you like. (A new one will post each Friday.)
- They will reside on our CDM YouTube Channel which you can subscribe to here.
Our Worship Informs Our Walk
Week 1 – Ephesians 1:1-14
Encouragement from Karen:
I am excited to begin this journey with you as we seek to be more vitally connected to Christ and one another. Ephesians 1:1-14 is a glorious 203-word doxological summit. Paul is effusive in His praise of Christ’s work on our behalf. Understanding we are blessed, chosen, adopted, redeemed, and forgiven should make our hearts sing. We will spend the first six weeks of Ephesians unpacking our vertical worship of Christ, and the last six weeks unpacking our horizontal walk in the context of the home, church, workplace, and community.
You and I sisters are products of our doxology. The Doxology is not just a song you sing at the end of a service, but rather should be the lyric of our life. In Latin, “dox” means glory, and “ology” we know from school years is a word or a thought about something. As you dig into this week’s study, you will find countless words or thoughts about glory. But how does your worship impact the way you walk out your faith this week? The word worship finds its roots in the words “worth” and “shape.” In other words, what you find worthy, precious, or valuable shapes everything about our lives. It impacts our actions, attitudes, choices, and relationships. Spend time counting your blessings this week. What is more precious than gold to you? It could be approval, success, control, people in our lives, or prayerfully, it might be the “God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!”
Dig deep in the treasure chest of this passage. I can’t wait to hear about all the blessings you uncover this week. It will be a celebration of our blessed belonging. May we worship and walk “to the praise of His glorious grace”!
Memory Verse: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.” – Ephesians 1:3-4[See below for downloadable memory verse]
- Go back and look at Ephesians 1:1-14. Which verse did God hinge to your heart this week?
- In what ways was Paul’s life transformed through the work of Christ in him? How do you see the transforming work of Christ in you?
- We tend to notice things that are set apart. The Christians in Ephesus probably stood out from the culture around them. People likely noticed their set-apartness. In what ways might people in your circles see your set-apartness?
- Name the spiritual blessings we have in Christ. Which one is particularly precious to you?
- What does it mean to you to have forgiveness and redemption from sin?
Hinge Point….Walking these truths out this week
Thinking Biblically: Hinge to Christ (vertically)—What is one thing you learned this week about being more hinged or vitally connected to Christ?
Living Covenantally: Hinge to His Church (horizontally)—How can you take what you have learned this week and live it out in the context of community?
Hinged to Heaven: Prayer Requests
Read: To learn more about Christ’s work on our behalf – God for Us by Abby Hutto
To be posted on June 5.
To be posted June 12.
Join us for an optional/relational community building Facebook Live Event each Wednesday night at 8:00-8:30pm EST starting June 3 to August 19 on the Connect PCA Women’s Ministry Facebook page to learn from the authors and one another. There will be fun giveaways and we hope to post the recording of it each week so you can watch later.
Is there still time to sign up? Yes!
SUMMER HINGED BIBLE STUDY ON EPHESIANS – FAQ’s
We are so excited that so many of you have already signed up. Here are a few questions I have answered this week. If I don’t answer your questions, feel free to contact us and we will answer them.
How do I sign up?: https://pcacdm.org/HBS/
When does it start? Those who sign up will start getting their Hinged email (teaching video, discussion questions and other helpful encouragements) each Friday starting May 29th and then each Friday for the next 12 weeks.
Can you do it individually or as group? YES and YES! You could do it with women in your church, neighborhood or far away friends. I heard about a group of MTW missionaries who plan to do it together and I loved the story of a grandmother who is doing it with her daughter and granddaughter. We will give you helpful tips and discussion questions each week when you sign up. You could meet virtually or Lord willing in person. You could also do it individually at your own pace.
Is there any limit as to how many women can join? NO, the more the merrier!
How do I access the Teaching Videos? When you sign up, you will get the weekly (30 min.) teaching videos delivered to your inbox. A new one goes up each week and you can watch them anytime you like. They will reside on our YouTube Channel which you can subscirbe to here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDfBMg5dco25vL0wCDgz63Q
How do I get my Bible Study Book? You can purchase your print copy here. There is a bulk discount so buy for a group, save the shipping, and have a porch pick up.
Can we see a sample chapter? https://www.pcabookstore.com/samples/14800.pdf
Who are the authors? https://www.pcabookstore.com/samples/14800TOC_and_intro.pdf
What is the HINGED HANGOUT? This will be an optional/relational community building Facebook Live Event each Wednesday night at 8:00-8:30pm EST starting June 3rd on this page to learn from the authors and one another. There will be fun giveaways and we hope to post the recording of it each week so you can watch later.
Still have questions? Contact Kathy Wargo.
Hinged Bible Study on the book of Ephesians
We have all heard we are better together, but what does that look like in real life? The Hinged study instructs and applies the Gospel in the context of community for God’s glory! It was written by nine women from CDM’s National Women’s Ministry Team. Each brings her own unique voice, experiences, and a love for Christ and His Church to this study of Ephesians. It is a study about blessed belonging and how God unites us in His beautiful bride.
Authors: Rachel Craddock, Christina Fox, Karen Hodge, Paula Miles, Connie Miller, Shea Patrick, Lisa Tarplee, Ronjanett Taylor, and Susan Tyner.
|Binding: Coil Binding | Chapters: 12 | Page Count: 210|